Portobello H.G. School

– Girls’ Science Class

Although the caption is “Girls’ Science Class” boys are visible at the benches to the rear; the image is no less impressive for that.

The location is again one of the second-storey art and science classrooms that were added in 1908 when the school obtained Higher Grade status

– Art Class

The school applied for – and obtained – ‘Higher Grade’ status in time for the start of the school year in September 1907. Pupils who had completed the qualifying examination could now extend their schooling beyond the end of the compulsory period of education required by law (until age 14).

New accommodation was necessary and a second storey comprising a number of science and art rooms was added to the original wing facing Niddrie Road (now Duddingston Park). This opened in December 1908.

Until 1928 the school catered only for pupils up to third year; pupils wishing to continue their education beyond that stage had to transfer to Broughton or Leith Academy. However in that year the school was regraded to secondary status, and was given the new title “Portobello Secondary” which remained in use until 1975.

The image (clearly in an ‘upper’ storey) dates from the ‘Higher Grade’ period between December 1908 and attaining ‘Secondary’ status in 1928. The fashion suggests the earlier part of that window.

With credit to Ian Small.

Portobello
High School

Portobello High School
1 Milton Road
Edinburgh
EH15 3BY

Tel: 0131 669 2324
Email: admin@portobello.edin.sch.uk

Pupil absence reporting line:
0131 657 9057

© 2026 - Portobello High School