Ready to Leave?
If you are ready to leave school there is support to help you on the way to your next step. Don’t worry if you are in S4 or S5, if it feels right to move on then do your planning and take that brave step.
Your Pupil Support leader and the Careers Advisers are here to help you. You can still access support from Careers Advisers after you have left school.
Ideally you should try and get a clear plan (and a back up plan) in place
- Look at the Pathways Diagrams in the course choice book and try to write your own. You might want to write a few with slightly different options. You can get blank copies of the form here
- Look into entry requirements for courses, apprenticeships, etc.
These resources can help too:
- Edinburgh College: find out more about entry requirements and types of courses available
- Apprenticeships: See the range available and what you need to get onto an apprenticeship. Remember that apprenticeships operate at a range of levels and can be a good alternative to College or University
- Edinburgh Guarantee: This has a range of current jobs and apprenticeships. It is worth signing up for updates so you can keep an eye on what is available.
- UCAS: explore the range of courses available at University in Scotland and the rest of the UK. If you have a specific course or University in mind, check the entry requirements carefully
- Prospects: can help you choose a degree course and give you some idea of what type of career you might move into
- Career Explorer: My World of Work has a section that provides useful insights into a huge a range of jobs at all levels. This can help understand entry requirements, salaries, working patters, etc