Ramadan is the ninth month in the Islamic calendar and begins in the UK this year on Saturday 27 May. It is an especially holy period of prayer, fasting, charity-giving and self-accountability for Muslims around the world.
Many Muslims in the United Kingdom fast during the daylight hours in the month of Ramadan. It is usual to have a meal known as the suhoor just before sunrise and an evening meal (iftar) after sunset. People of Islamic faith are also encouraged to read the Qur’an and attend their mosque every night of the month. During the month of Ramadan many Muslims donate to charities and participate in voluntary activities.
To support our Muslim pupils through the month of Ramadan we have put the following into place:
- A quiet space to rest and pray is available at break and lunch in Room F13 and F12
- Those pupils on free school meals should pre-order their food which can be taken away to eat after sunset.
- Any Muslim pupils not fasting, for example for medical reasons, can go to room G13 at break or lunch for their comfort. The link below from the NHS which gives information on a healthy Ramadan, http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyramadan/Pages/healthyramadanhome.aspx
- Fasting pupils will participate in PE, but they may need to reduce their level of activity. PE staff will be aware of this, but if a pupil feels they need to rest, they should let their PE teacher know. Pupils will be excused from swimming if they so wish.
- If a pupil is taking an exam and they feel dehydrated, such as having a headache or feeling drowsy, they should think about terminating their fast by drinking some water. Parents should reassure that in this situation Islamic rulings allow them to break their fast and make it up later.
Ramadan ends on either the 25th or 26th of June depending on the sighting of the new crescent moon (Shawwal). Eid or Eid al-Fitr marks the end of Ramadan and kick-starts the month of Shawwal, which begins with a feast to end the period of fasting.
Families who want to discuss or share anything regarding their children fasting, are invited to contact their child’s Pupil Support Leader. Learners can bring in their prayer mats, topis and prayer TT and leave in them in G13. Toilets and washing facilities are available nearby on the floor below.
S3 Online Parent Evening Booking
Our parent evening booking system went live on Tuesday for all S3 parents and will remain open to book appointments until Monday 29th May. Any S3 parents having issues with booking appointments please contact school office – we are happy to help.
Pupil Support Leader Chris Aitken is taking on a personal challenge and running the Edinburgh Marathon to raise money for the Health Opportunities Team. The HOT team are an independent charity committed to improving the social, emotional and sexual wellbeing of young people in East, South and West Edinburgh. They are an invaluable resource to our pupils at Portobello High School and we are very grateful to have their support in school and in the wider community. Mr Aitken has set himself the target of raising £250 and is nearly halfway there already – with your help we think he can smash that target! If you would like to find out more and maybe consider making a donation, please follow the link below to Mr Aitken’s Just Giving page.
Big congratulations to our U13 Football Team who finished the season as League Champions after defeating Firrhill High School 4-1! Good luck to the U14 and U15 teams in their finals this weekend.
Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Practise Expedition
Last weekend 15 pupils from S3 had a successful (and sunny) weekend out in the Pentlands for their Practise Expedition. This was a chance for them to practise their navigation, walking skills and campcraft before their qualifier at the end of May. The pupils were a credit to the school, and despite some sore feet and heavy bags, the group approached the challenge with smiles on their faces!
Congratulations to our U16 Rugby 7s squad who defeated Musselburgh 17-12 to win the Callum Veitch Cup, played in memory of our former pupil. Well done lads!
Parent Council Meeting
A reminder that our next meeting is being held on Monday 15 May at 7pm in the school library – all welcome! Please find below minutes from our last meeting on the 6th March 2017 and the agenda for our upcoming meeting.