The aim of the Alternative Education Department is to work closely within the Support for Learning team in school to support any pupil (S1-S6) encountering social, emotional, behavioural, family or health problems.
Examples of the support that the department provides include:
- 1:1 counselling service for pupils
- Support Base time for students who cannot remain in class full time
- Self-referral support for pupils during the day where there is a medical or personal issue
- Support with college/work applications and placement
- Working with outside support agencies
- Emergency referral system
The department supports all new pupils enrolled after the start of the session and manage all Hosted pupils who come to Portobello for the full period of the Hosting.
A number of Groupwork projects run throughout the year and are managed by Rachel Barr, Community Learning Youth Worker, who also organises the After School Youth Club.
The Alternative Education team consists of the following staff:
Joyce Nisbet – Principal Teacher
Helen Wilson – Class Teacher
Ruth Stewart – Classroom Assistant
Rachel Barr – Community Learning Youth Worker