Portobello High School continues to thrive as a health promoting school, bringing health promotion into each area of the curriculum and every aspect of school life.
The Schools (Health Promotion and Nutrition)(Scotland) Act was passed by the Scottish Parliament in 2007 and fully implemented in 2010. The Act is closely related to the health and wellbeing aspects of Curriculum for Excellence and places health at the heart of school learning and life.
Further information about the Act can be found by clicking on the link below.
In 2008, Portobello High School became the first secondary school in the Lothians to gain Stage 3 accreditation of Health Promoting School status. Health promotion remains at the core of our school work and we always continue to look at ways to improve.
To achieve each of the three stage awards we consulted pupils, staff and parents to draw up targets we felt were important to make our school a safe, happy and healthy environment.
These tasks included:
- Improving the environment
- Improving the toilet provision
- Matching Hungry for Success targets
- Improving fitness
- Embedding an annual pupil health day into the S3 curriculum
- Encouraging cardiovascular exercise by introducing a new lift pass system
- Providing a Staff health day and health information updates
- Providing a Primary / Secondary transition programme for anxious pupils
- Extending our extra curricular activities programme
- Supporting local and National Charities
- Coaching pupils on examination preparation
- Taking account of environmental issues
- Growing food in the allotment / greenhouse and using produce in HE lessons
- Offering a varied suspended timetable to our pupils
- Provision of fresh drinking water for pupils and staff
- Writing a school health policy
The Health and Wellbeing sub group are now considering the Curriculum for Excellence Health and Wellbeing experiences and outcomes to ensure that as a school we are meeting the requirements and giving our community the best opportunities to work within a healthy environment.