We have been asked by the Council to advertise adventurous activities which will be running over the summer holidays from Bangholm.
These activities are aimed at P6 (Primary) and (S1 – S4) – Secondary pupils.
Please see undernoted flyer from the City of Edinburgh Council which gives more detail.
A topping out ceremony to mark progress on the new Portobello High School has taken place today (Tuesday 16 June 2015).
Portobello High School pupils join Head Teacher Peigi Macarthur and guests at the topping out
After many years of planning, and obstacles along the way, construction work started on the new school in October 2014 and is due to be completed next summer.
The Eco Team will be selling the plants grown in our 8th floor greenhouse at the summer concert on Thursday 18th June, in return for a donation.
We have a selection of kale, sunflowers, tomatoes and pepper plants, all grown organically.
Donations will go towards further development and maintenance of the biodiversity garden, which will soon have a mini-pond!
We are currently in the process of recruiting for the next group of pupils who will participate in the 2 year “Career Ready” programme.
The Career Ready Programme:
- A national charity set up and governed by senior business leaders.
- Connects you to employers from a range of sectors, providing opportunities to gain the skills, attitudes and networks you need to succeed in the workplace / your career.
- A two year programme during S5 & S6 for carefully selected students that bridges the gap between school life and work life.
- You will attend various “workshops” which will support you to develop employability skills.
- You will be given a mentor from a business and meet them regularly to set targets.
- You will take part in a 4 week paid internship over the summer of 2016.
You will receive information of this programme during PSE. If you are suitable for the programme and would like to be considered for a place on the course, please complete the application form below and send this to Craig.Knight@Portobello.edin.sch.uk by no later than Friday 26th June.
If you are interested in taking part in the programme or would like more information, please see Mr Knight.
Student Application Form
Pupil update forms were posted out to all Parent / Carers at the beginning of June.
To date, we have only had approximately 50% of these returned to us. These forms are essential to our records as the information on it is essential in case of an emergency.
Even if there are no changes – could you please ensure these forms are returned before we break up for the summer holidays?
WEDNESDAY, 17th June 2015
This year Primary 7 pupils will visit the High School on Wednesday, 17th June 2015 and Thursday 18th June 2015.
To help us settle them in –
ALL pupils in S2 – S6 should report at 9:25 a.m for the start of Period 2 on Wednesday 17th June 2015.
We are very pleased to report that Ms Alison Fotheringham (Depute Head – Brunstane House) has been confirmed as acting Head Teacher from 13 August 2015. The acting post should run until mid to late October 2015.
The substantive Head Teacher post will be re-advertised on return from the summer break.
We wish Alison well and feel confident that she will do a very good job and will enjoy good support from staff, pupils and parents / carers.
School Ties are available to purchase at the School Office for our new S5 and S6 Pupils. They are priced at £6.00 each.
Hello to iPad!
In order to set up your iPad, you need to create an Apple ID and set up an iTunes/App Store account.
- You will need to create your Apple ID using your school email address.
- You will then need to verify your Apple ID by logging into your school email.
- You can log into your school email by going to http://office365.edin.org and use your normal username and password (eg the same name and password you use to log into the computers in school)
IMPORTANT: your school email address is email@example.com
- Please take a note of your Apple ID and Password
- When setting up your iTunes account, ensure that you use NONE as the Payment Details.
- You will be prompted at one point to add a passcode. Please ensure you add a passcode and remember it.
- Once you have set up your Apple ID and iTunes account, please download Pages and Keynote App Store.
A guided walkthrough of setting up an Apple ID, iTunes Account and accesing school email can be found below in three different formats: Narated Video, PDF document and Slideshow.
A note about Microsoft office
You can download the Microsoft office apps for your iPad (and for you home computer too) completely free of charge. In order to sign into the office iPad apps, please see this guide: Office for iPad and Home
iPad set up Guides
Important: Do not rename your iPad! your iPad is named w-por-XXXXX where XXXXX is a number. This is also the number you can see on the back of your iPad.
A PDF version of the slides – ipad setup s2
Please see below information on the Edinburgh Power of Food Festival
POWER OF FOOD