What Does It Mean to Be Human? Topics Include:
- Human and Animals- Are we different?
- Do we have a Soul?
- Values (The values of Justice, Integrity, Compassion and Wisdom in the Mace of the Scottish Parliament)
- Religion and Our Environment (including individual research task)
- Equality and Physical Difference
Belief. Topics Include:
- What is a Belief?
- Types of Belief
- Belief in Action: Inspirational people. E.g. Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela; project of student’s choice
- Moral Belief and Medical Ethics – e.g. Euthanasia, Organ Donation
- Beliefs about Life after Death
- Individual research project into one chosen major world religion’s key beliefs.
Investigating Religion and Belief: Unit 1 of SQA Religion Belief and Values Award:
- Moral Issues in Technology- E.g. Social Networking and Factory Farming
- Individual research task from a chosen issue
Values in Action: Unit 2 of SQA Religion Belief and Values Award:
- Students put their values into action through designing and taking part in a charitable activity or other practical activity related to a chosen personal belief or value.
Study of Capital Punishment as a Contemporary Moral Issue
- Introduction to Philosophy – discussion based class
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Introduction to Religion
- Introduction to Morality
- Moral Issues: War and Peace
- World Religion: Hinduism
- Existence of God
- Religion, Medicine and the Human Body
- World Religion: Buddhism
- Origin of Life
- Religion and Justice
- Philosophy of Religion
- Religious Experience