Aims and Philosophy
Through the use of a variety of curricular and extra-curricular activities, the Physics department strives to make a positive contribution to pupils’ general education. We also aim to provide subject specific knowledge and understanding, offering an excellent basis for further study in physics related areas at school, college or university.
Our pupils should achieve:
- Knowledge and understanding of physics principles.
- Problem solving skills.
- Responsible attitudes and effective communication skills.
- Practical abilities associated with investigations in physics.
- Physics Study Group held every Thursday from 3.35 – 4.35pm for pupils having difficulty in their studies or who just have a keen interest. All pupils are welcome! Staff are happy to assist pupils studying at any level in Physics; Intermediate 1, Standard Grade, Intermediate 2, Higher, Advanced Higher.
- The Physics Department at Portobello High School provides pupils in S5/S6 the chance to attend the Scottish Space School. Of the 300 applicants from 100 schools in Scotland, 10 are selected to travel to NASA’s Johnson Space Centre in Houston. Part of the experience allows pupils to attend lectures and experience laboratory experiments and workshops led by some of the top scientists and engineers working in NASA. Leyla Manshouri, a pupil at Portobello HS, was chosen to attend the Johnson Space Centre in November 2009 and returned with a fascinating insight into current developments in NASA.
- Every year the Physics department invites pupils studying physics to attend the Benmore trip. The trip allows pupils to experience an exciting range of adventure activities, promoting team-work to overcome tasks and obstacles. Activities have included gorge walking, rock climbing, kayaking, canoeing, mountain biking and the famous night walk.
Mr K Walker (Curriculum Leader)
Mr S Bourne
Mr M Lyons
Mr C Troost