Aims and Philosophy
- Physical Education aims to enable learners to build a platform from which they can build physical competences, improve aspects of fitness, and develop personal and interpersonal skills and attributes. It aims to provide learners with opportunities to develop the concepts and skills necessary for participation in a wide range of physical activity, sport and dance. It also aims to enhance their physical wellbeing in preparation for leading a fulfilling, active and healthy lifestyle.
- Learners will encounter a variety of practical learning experiences, including working on their own, with a partner and in small and large groups/teams. Learners will understand the importance of cooperation and competition and develop the ability to evaluate their own and others’ performance and suggest areas for development.
- One of the key entitlements of Curriculum for Excellence is that all children from pre-school to the end of S3 will receive a rounded education known as a broad general education (BGE), before moving on to a senior phase in S4 to S6 which will include studying for qualifications.
- The department operates a formal and an “open door” policy to provide support for pupils
- Resources and support materials are available on Twitter and Office 365
- Positive destinations for former pupils
- The department recognises achievement through the use of its Hall of Fame, S1 – S3 core merit Awards and N4/5 Activity Awards
- The department recognises extra-curricular achievement at the school Annual Award Ceremony and Prizegiving
Mrs E Inkster