Aims and Philosophy
- Develop to their fullest each pupil’s language skills and ability to express their own thoughts and feelings clearly, confidently and fluently, both orally and in writing.
- Through the study of literature, to develop pupils’ awareness of the society in which they live and of other societies.
- To foster the self-confidence of each pupil and their belief in the worth of their own ideas.
- Create and foster the enjoyment of English literature and language and stimulate pupils’ curiosity.
- Give pupils skills to be able to read “beyond the literal” meaning and appreciate a variety of fiction and non-fiction texts.
- Inspire pupils to read for pleasure through the use of the library.
- Give pupils the ability to become independent learners.
- Provide pupils with the opportunity to achieve qualifications relevant to today’s work place.
- All classrooms equipped with either interactive whiteboards or ICT projectors.
- Extensive departmental library for pupils.
- Revision classes to support pupils with exam preparation.
- School magazine/newspaper written, edited and published regularly.
- Debating Club run in the department, with regular participation in inter-school competitions.
- Use of ICT in the classroom to apply skills and knowledge in a variety of stimulating contexts.
Ms J Allen